Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Pregnancyis scary!

Yesterday at 3:30pm, I had what i thought was a Braxton Hicks contraction. My uterus got tight, and I was uncomfortable, but I wouldn't have described it as painful. Over the next 2 hours, they started coming on hard, every 2-3 minutes, and painful, like menstrual cramps. They would take my breath away. I called my OB and they sent me immediately to the ER.

Blood and urine revealed no infection. Thorough transvaginal and abdominal ultrasounds revealed no underlying cause of contraction or pain. My cervix was closed. Both little jumping beans were somersaulting and dancing around, making it difficult for the tech to catch their heartbeats, but eventually it was determined that baby A's heartbeat was 154 and baby B's heartbeat was 169. Both appeared healthy and active. My uterus contracted once while the ultrasound was in progress, but no cause was determined. I was well hydrated, and healthy.

I spent four hours in the ER for pain of indeterminate cause, I still don't have any answers for why I was contracting, but I do have reassurances that the jumping beans are healthy. I go back to the doc for a quick peek at everything on friday.

Pregnancy is scary, but scariest of all is the not knowing, and having no control over what's happening.

1 comment:

Tim Looney said...

Wow Aimee, that sounds frightening. I couldn't imagine dealing with that uncertainty.

I am glad that the beans appear healthy. Keep us up to date.