Tuesday, July 03, 2007

Parenthood

Holy crap.

6 months from now, I'm going to be somebody's mom. Make that two somebodies. Every once in awhile it hits me and scares the crap outta me.

I know everything will be just fine, but the logistics of getting everything done between now and then are terrifying. Preparing my house is one thing, preparing my body, well that's pretty much taking care of itself, but preparing my life? Preparing my spirit? Those are something else altogether.

I tell myself I don't want to be the kind of parent who insists that her children parrot her every word and thought. I want them to think on their own, be inspired by the things that matter to them--not those that matter to me.

"You can give them your love but not your thoughts, for they'll have their own thoughts" Kahlil Gibran

I want to be the kind of parent who encourages her children to dream big, act big, learn big, and do big.

"we should all keep pretending that our dreams are patent-pending"Jason Mraz

I want to be the kind of parent who when the kid grows up, they look back on their childhood and says "My mom let me...and that made me who I am today" I don't want to be the mom whose kid grows up to say "i never did...because mom never let me..."

I want my babies to grow up knowing that each moment and each day of their lives is as precious to me as my own. I want to give so much value to the minutes and the hours of their days that they feel rich with time.

"Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?"Mary Oliver

Little ones, I'm waiting for you. This time of gathering and reflection is deepening my life for you, opening the doors that you'll need to come through when you get here. Grow, be bold and self assured, I'll be waiting.

No comments: