Saturday, May 26, 2007

morning sickness and dizzy spells

So now it begins in earnest--the pregnancy side effects have swooped in this week. I have to be cautious standing up, so I don't get dizzy, and despite my best efforts to eat every 1.5-2 hours, I have been fighting back nausea since yesterday. So far it hasn't been too bad, but when Hank threw up on the floor, I almost joined him.

The changes in my body are making it feel slightly alien. I'm myself and not myself. These huge breasts that hurt all the time, the round little potbelly, the light-headedness, the bladder that requires constant emptying, they all conspire to make me feel as though I'm not quite myself. However, it's strangely satisfying to turn my awareness inward on life growing inside, and feel that these changes are purposeful, and the self I was is being traded in for another self, the self that is somebody's mother.

No comments: