Tuesday, January 09, 2007

I'm running a marathon in less than 5 weeks

I am going to complete my third marathon in three years, my third marathon by age 30. My third marathon. the nerves are starting to set in. Four months ago I had never run more than 10 miles without stopping to walk. On Sunday, I ran 22 miles, in the rain, no walk breaks.

I told myself before every long run, "If you found out you were pregnant tomorrow and couldn't do the race, this should be a run you can be proud of." Well, I'm proud of every run I've done in training for this race, and I'm going to be proud of the race too.

Training for a marathon is a journey of self-discovery. Even though I've done this twice before, I've learned new things about myself now. I've learned that pride is a better motivator than fear. I've learned that the body will do what is asked, as long as it is asked nicely. I've learned that I am capable of more than I had ever believed.

Anything is possible. Hope feels good.

No comments: