Sunday, November 25, 2007

How will it go, when it goes?

Will I wake up, in the middle of the night, needing something unfamiliar and realizing that the pressure, the pain, they are different from all the times before?

Will I go to a routine doctor's appointment and be sent from there to the hospital?

Will my water break?

Will I schedule a c-section and arrive at the hospital with a fresh pedicure and shaved legs?

Will I spend a day not unlike today? surrounded by the soft noises of dogs sleeping and snoring and dreaming? Music from a distant part of the house? The sounds of Mark cleaning something, a car, a floor, a fish tank? Will I watch Hank's toes twitch with his dreaming, hearing his soft hooting noises that would be barks if he were awake? Will I sing off-key as I wash the dishes and sort the laundry, the way I love to sing, loudly, brashly, with no one here to acknowledge how badly I sing? Will that day go on in my typical routine while inside I wonder if I should be timing contractions?

It could be a day like today. How will I say goodbye to our routine?

2 comments:

Lizziepea said...

I have been following your journal through ovusoft...love it - you will fall into a new and wonderful routine and you will wonder how you ever thought your old one was possible...

Keep them boys cookin'!

Anonymous said...

Aimee, you'll learn that every labor experience is unique and your's will be special to you. I too wondered if I should be counting contractions when my labor began. After finally going to the hospital after laboring at home for many hours and finding two other women 4cm dilated just like me, but screaming in pain, I realized that no two labor experiences are the same. I was sent home because I wasn't screaming and the hospital staff didn't think I was in labor. I wish you a relaxed and joyful labor experience, but once those boys are here, the labor experience will be a distant memory. :-)