Monday, February 26, 2007

"Ah, how can we bear it?"


Heart
Originally uploaded by Aimee Benson.
A.S. Byatt's "Posession" is quoted frequently throughout Audrey Niffenegger's novel, "The Time Traveler's Wife." The Time Traveler's Wife is romantic, striking, and manages to break and warm your heart all at once. After reading it, I read Posession.

Posession is beautifully written, particularly when dealing with the fleeting moments that make up a love story.

Love is not finding someone you can live with. It is finding someone you cannot live without. Life being so short and fleeting, you want to spend every moment with that person.

I am so blessed, to have Mark as my partner in this short life. We make our way together, sometimes shoving our way through the difficult parts, sometimes dancing through the joyful ones. And together, we are finding some manner of peace, and hope.

This is our last cycle of trying to conceive naturally. Beginning next cycle, I will be taking injections to be followed with an intrauterine insemination. In some ways, this knowledge has freed up our sex life to be about intimacy and love again, as opposed to being simply about procreation, which after over a year of trying to get pregnant, it had grown tired, cold. I feel like now I am rediscovering my marriage, my husband, and myself.

"This is where I have been coming to, since my time began. And when i go away from here, this will be the mid-point, to which everything ran, before, and from which everything will run. But now, my love, we are here, we are now, and those other times are running elsewhere." A.S. Byatt

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I just purchased both of these books (finally!) on Amazon. Also, did you know that Possession was made into a movie in 2002 with Gwyneth Paltrow? I'm going to add it to my Netflix after I've read the book.